1. Amazon expands one-hour delivery service to Baltimore, Miami
The service, which was previously available only in Manhattan, offers one-hour delivery on tens of thousands of items through a mobile app. All Prime members can download the Prime Now app, available on iOS and Android devices, and be notified when the service is available in their local area.
2. PayPal to pay $280 Million for Paydiant to help retailers compete with Apple Pay
PayPal isn’t giving up on payments in brick-and-mortar stores. The eBay payment unit plans to acquire Paydiant, a payments startup that licenses a technology platform used by big retail chains to create their own branded mobile wallet apps.
3. Alibaba demostrates Pay-With-Your-Face technology
An innovative system on smartphones uses facial recognition technology for online payments and is currently being tested by Ant Financial, an Alibaba affiliate that runs the Alipay payment service.
4. Look Out Siri And Google Now – Windows Cortana Assistant App is coming
Microsoft touts Cortana as more advanced than Apple’s competing digital assistant software Siri in that Cortana can actually anticipate user requests, analyze data, and combine information in a way that can proactively help users.
5. Facebook acquires shopping search engine TheFind
Facebook has bought TheFind, a nine-year-old company with a search engine that lists products across thousands of ecommerce sites. With TheFind shoppers can easily compare prices between different retailers without being forced to scan each individual site.